Home

Springfield Writers’ Guild Meeting

Saturday, January  23 – 10:00 a.m.

“We All Have a Story to Tell: Tips for Writing Creative Nonfiction from Memoirs”

THIS IS A WORKSHOP – Bring paper and pen!

Join Zoom Meeting

Meeting ID: 850 9210 0403
Passcode: 568232

Or join by phone:
312-626-6799

Meeting ID:85092100403#

Passcode: *568232#

Don’t forget to renew your membership for 2021!

Yearly dues run from January-November each year (no meeting in December). Pay online with PayPal, or credit card. Fill out your application so we can know you better on the JOIN/RENEW page. New members are encouraged!

Board members for 2021

______________________________________________________________

A PENNY FOR YOUR THOUGHTS

A Message from the President

What a year we’ve had! Despite the challenges of the COVID-19 Pandemic, 2020 proved to be a productive year for the Springfield Writers’ Guild.

With the exception of March, we held 11 of our 12 monthly meetings. Three were done in person, with the other eight conducted through the use of online media. During this time, we purchased a subscription to Zoom. Through Zoom and our other online mediums (emails, newsletter, online websites), we stayed connected, keeping the lines of communication open.

Going into 2021, our monthly meetings will begin at 10:00 a.m., as requested and voted on by you, our members. We also voted to hold our meetings at The Library Center in Springfield, a venue that provides a number of needed facilities and options to our organization.

This was also a year of outstanding individual accomplishments for our membership, many of which you’ve seen through the SWG newsletter and websites.

To each of you, I give my sincere thanks for the support you’ve shown our organization through this challenging, yet productive time. May the blessings and warmth of the Christmas season be with you in the days ahead.

Chris Keller, SWG President

June 18-20, 2021
DoubleTree by Hilton
Steven James

Due to the Coronavirus outbreak, the Between the Pages board has come to the difficult decision to postpone the writers’ conference to 2021 out of a concern for public health and safety. We feel it would be irresponsible to host an event with a large number of people in an enclosed space for hours on end. Likewise, we believe that many attendees would be uneasy about attending for this reason.

With the bad news, we have some good. Nearly all of our speakers, including keynote Steve James, have agreed to the new dates. The conference we promised will be delivered, just a year later that we anticipated.

If you registered and chose to reserve your spot for next year, your registration fees and any associated extras will be applied to the 2021 conference, so your seat is saved, and we’ll see you next June.

BTP Writers Con
Ozarks Romance Authors
Sleuths’ Ink Mystery Writers
Springfield Writers Guild

________________________________________________________

15 Responses to Home

1. maaja says:

Superb blog! Do you have any tips and hints for aspiring writers?
    I’m hoping to start my own blog soon but I’m a little lost on everything.
    Would you propose starting with a free platform like WordPress or go for a paid option? There are so many options out there that I’m totally overwhelmed ..

Any tips? Thank you!

Liked by 1 person

• Yes, you could begin with WordPress, Blogspot, or any of the other free blogsites. Most are simple to use and you don’t need any technical knowledge. Get your stories out there. Provide good content people want to read!

2. Jeffery Killough says:

I have read so many articles or reviews regarding the blogger lovers except this piece of writing is really a good article, keep it up.. Really plenty of great data!

3. I like the helpful information you provide for your articles. I’ll bookmark your blog and take a look at once more right here regularly. I’m moderately certain I will learn plenty of new stuff proper here! Best of luck for the next!

Liked by 1 person

4. Mindy Lawrence says:

You have a very nice and informative website. I’ve been away from the Guild for years and just joined again this evening (although I marked “new member”). I’ll be there at the meeting on August 26th–hopefully with something for critique.

5. Teresa Cox says:

I have written what I hope to be 2 children’s books but have no idea how to go about having them published. They are written in ryhme and I know they would need illustration. I self published once but that was poetry and wasn’t very successful. I would really like these 2 books to be noticed. Any suggestions on what I should do?

• Come to our meetings. We have illustrators, editors, and publishers there who will point you in the right direction to finish your books. We meet every fourth Saturday at McAlister’s in Springfield. (See map at bottom).

6. Mia says:

Hello I’m Mia Huskisson I’m an aspiring writing working towards becoming an author Would you allow me to observe a meeting to see if your group might be a good fit for me?

• Anyone is welcome to visit the group at no charge. If you want to become a member, you have that option. The next meeting is at McAlisters (Battlefield and Kansas) on Feb. 22, starting at 11:00 a.m.

7. Shirley Fox says:

I am close to completing a non-fiction book. I’m 86, so I don’t expect it to be the first of many. I know zip about getting a book edited and printed. I need to engage someone who will help me these things. How should I go about finding the help I need?

8. Vernon Holliday says:

I would like to come and what you guys can teach me about writing I’m just starting and I need all the advice I can get thanks

• You are welcome to join our writers’ group at any time. We will begin meeting again in January. Keep checking the SWG website for information, or look on our Facebook page – Look for Springfield Writers Guild forum. Our group is diversified with young, old, men, women, published, and beginners.